What We Offer
Let “At Home in Alexandria-AHA” be your one-stop shop! AHA responds to all members’ needs – be it someone to repair a screen door, deliver groceries, or accompany a member to the hairdresser or a doctor’s appointment. You’ll be able to turn to the AHA community of volunteers.
- Transportation – AHA provides transportation to doctor appointments, the drug store, the library, the bank, a meeting, or almost anywhere you need to go but can’t get there on your own.
- Errands – Maybe you need something dropped off at the dry cleaners or the post office, or need some to do your grocery shopping.
- Help with technology – AHA can help Members set up and use computers, printers, the internet, e-mail, DVDs, phones, clocks, thermostats, and other devices.
- Light Home Maintenance – AHA volunteers help Members with household maintenance such as changing light bulbs, turning mattresses, treating slow running drains, unsticking windows, home safety and emergency preparations, and miscellaneous handyman tasks.
- Yard Work – We can also help with jobs like gardening, watering, weeding, or snow shoveling.
- Home Organizing – AHA volunteers can assist with planning and organizing, or decluttering and downsizing.
- Social, Educational, and Community Events – AHA arranges and coordinates interest groups, book clubs, entertainment outings, special events, educational seminars, and similar activities for its Members.
- Vendor Services– AHA maintains a list of vetted vendor service providers, many of whom offer discounts to AHA Members. If desired, an AHA volunteer will facilitate communications between our Member and the contractor.
- Companionship – AHA can provide services like friendly visits, conversation, and reading.
- Pet Care – This includes dog walking and visitations.
- Phone Check-In – Recurring calls to monitor Members.
- Medical Advocacy – Trained AHA personnel can assist Members in dealing with their physicians and hospitals. (Future service.)